Sunday, June 17, 2012

My dad...



It's Father's Day, so I thought I would go ahead and write a little something about him. It seems appropriate, doesn't it?

If you know my dad, you know he isn't the picture of normality. He is truly a unique individual. I love him that way. 

*He used to send me a check for $5 every week when I was in college. Sometimes it would just be the check in an envelope. Sometimes it would be the check with some random object. I looked forward to that every single week.

*He likes to give us sketchy looking bags full of all sorts of randomness. He will hand Andy and I a bag and tell us we can't open it until we leave Indiana, or until he leaves Arkansas. You never know what will be in these bags. It could be a tax return from the 80's, a receipt from a lunch we had at Fazoli's two years ago, a bunch of safety pins (all not in their safety position), a flashlight, tea, pictures, newspaper clippings, and well...you get the idea.

*I don't understand how he has a tax return from the 80's but doesn't hold on to many possessions at all. If I want to buy my dad something, I know not to give him things that I want him to keep for long periods of time. It is likely he could pack up all his belongings in the back of his Saturn and be on the road at any moment. For Christmas, he asked for hot sauce with the wooden top.

*When I was in high school, he had this Volkswagon Jetta that had a wrecked side. The door wouldn't shut correctly and it was bungee corded shut. When it rained, he would put a bath mat over that side so that water wouldn't get in. He got in an accident in that vehicle and the police officer was very confused.

*After that, he got an 87 Crown Victoria. That car was something.  I was able to win my dad Colt's tickets because I called into the Smiley Morning Show and described it. It won "worst car in Indianapolis." My dad was proud of that. He would be. 

*He once bought my mom a shower cap for Christmas. My mom doesn't take showers. It was a thoughtful gift. My mom doesn't take showers because she doesn't want to get her hair wet. (She washes her hair in the sink). My dad got her the shower cap so she could take showers.

*He once came home with an inflatable boat. His idea was that this could be a bed for my sister or me. My mom did not agree.

*He calls me with random facts all the time.

*He likes to hide things around my house when he comes to visit.

*These are some of the things I will always remember about him...and I am hoping for many many more memories in the years to come.


4 comments:

tyana said...

hahaha! i so remember you nominating his car in Indy and winning! lol

Anonymous said...

Very cool post....you are unique too...guess you are like him in that way! MCarlson

rose said...

haha tyana! It was so funny. After I finished listing everything about that car. Smiley says "I think Rose wins." haha. My dad wanted to put a sign up in the window saying it was the worst car in Indy. My dad is great.

Thanks Martha :) I like being unique. :)

Andrea said...

I remember your dad from your wedding, and I knew then he was cool. What a great post and what a great dad!