Wednesday, April 11, 2012

life. and my grandparents.

So, I figured out why I had such a long hiatus from this blog. It was called life. Life happened. So, that's why this past month I didn't get on here much. It was called life. Life happened.

Sure, I could have made time. I just didn't want to. I feel like lately I haven't had much time to just sit and relax. When I am getting these brief moments, getting on here isn't the first thing I want to do.

What a shame right? I mean, admit it, this is the most interesting blog out there. Nope. I don't think so. 

I need some deep insights or some witty comments. Something.

I am a little sad because I wanted to write a blog post about my grandpa. This past month marked the 21 year anniversary since his death. His birthday also would have been a few days ago.  I guess I can write about it now though, better late than never, right?

Here is a very old picture that I was able to scrounge up off of facebook. There is my grandpa with my grandma and their four very wonderful girls. (My mom is in the back row right of the picture).




My grandma could not have found a better man for her. My grandpa was an amazing man, and she loved him dearly. Loved isn't the right word. She loves him dearly. There is no man that has compared to him since his death. He died too young. He died of lung cancer. I am so grateful that I had the chance to know this man.  I have so many great memories with him.

I remember the time I got to ride with him to Tennessee. I ruined his compass because I was playing with a magnet too close to it. I didn't know. It was winter outside and kind of icy. He accidentally hit a road sign. We got stopped a long time by a train. I had two dollars I could spend, and it was "burning a hole in my pocket." He stopped at a gas station for me, and I bought a pen with a pink fluffy creature on top. I am so thankful for that trip.

My grandma has a home video of the last Christmas he was alive. He came up with the idea to hook sleds to the back of the riding lawn mower and let the grandkids ride on the sleds while someone drove it around. I remember that Christmas very well. He was sick at this time, so he watched up from inside. I'm glad that we have that on video. I've watched it several times with my grandma.

I learned my lesson. Don't EVER stick my tongue out at my grandma and grandpa.

I made him cakes in my easy bake oven.

I'm glad he was my grandpa. I'm glad that he was my grandma's husband.


My grandma on my dad's side died very shortly after he did.  She was my Grandma Rose. She lived in Florida. Obviously, I was named after her. I wanted to write a blog about her too. I guess this is it. We would visit her about every year. She would send us wonderful packages on what it seemed like every  Holiday. She was a beautiful woman. 



She raised five wonderful children. I wish I could have known her better, but I am glad that I got to spend the time I did spend with her.

I remember going to her apartment. I remember Christmases in Florida. I remember going to the beach with her. I remember getting Peeps in the mail from her. I remember her smile. I love listening to stories that my dad tells about her.

I am so glad that I had wonderful grandparents like these in my life.

No comments: