Friday, January 27, 2006

IT'S FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!


The Pacer's play tonight. They play Cleveland. Cleveland beat us by 30 points the other night. I blame Jamaal Tinsley. He's back, and we are losing. Go figure. Hopefully we will win tonight. We have had too big of a losing streak going on. The sad thing is we will still make the playoffs. At this point, we are only one game above 500. What's that about? Hopefully this new guy will give our team some chemistry.

Math...math is fun, but I think I am getting some sort of addiction to it or something. I mean, I am willing to actually sit down do math proofs for hours on end. What's that about??? Well maybe that's because I am taking some killer grad courses, and they require me to actually think. It's a tough job yo.

Last night, I was pondering zero. How do we know that zero is actually nothing? I was catching up with a friend, and this became the topic of conversation. I was telling him that I know the proof for why something times zero is zero (in a ring of course). He was saying that it is obvious because the summation of nothing is nothing. So how do we know zero is nothing? He brought up the point of negative numbers. How do we know negative numbers exist? They actually didn't along with irrational numbers and such. Did you know that the person who discovered that the square root of two was irrational "died in a shipwreck?" The Pythagorean clan didn't want that getting out. They expressed things in lengths so they didnt have to bother with irrationals. Ok...so that's off the point. Still zero...a weird number...i do think...I never really have thought about it. Still, when I think of what zero is, I think of it as the additive identity...not as nothing...so how did the concept of it being nothing come about? Let me know what you think...

7 comments:

Josh S. said...

wow rose! great picture! when are we gonna hang out?

... said...

http://dear-newo-ikkin.blogspot.com

I think you broke my brain.

Anonymous said...

wow thats alot of thinking. I know zero is nothing because my teacher said so and theyre wrong about zero why did i even bother showing up for school the few times i did.

becca

Anonymous said...

Rose,
I do not have a way to contact you other than through your blog. Let me know and we will catch up. It has been to long. I've been thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers as promised.

Fr McC

Anonymous said...

Misspelled to should be too

rose said...

I'll shoot you an email in the next couple of days...

Anonymous said...

Whats up very cool [url=http://www.www.saclongchamppascher-fr.eu/sac-longchamp-pliage-1623-c-9.html]Sac Longchamp Pliage[/url] blog!! Man .. Excellent .. Wonderful .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds additionally??I am happy to search out so many useful information here Sac Longchamp Pliage Fraise [url=http://www.www.saclongchamppascher-fr.eu/sac-longchamp-pliage-fraise-c-15.html]Sac Longchamp Pliage Fraise[/url] ,within the post, we'd like develop extra strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .