Tuesday, March 06, 2012

My first marathon...A RECAP!

So, this past Sunday, I ran my very first marathon. I just want to tell you how it was leading up to it, how it was during it, how it was when I finished it, and how it was afterwards.

Before the marathon:
My emotions were running high. I just couldn't believe I was about to run a marathon. A MARATHON? That is 26.2 miles. I trained. I felt ready, but still, I was anxious. I was about to embark on a 26.2 mile journey and I've only ever ran 21 miles. What were the other 5.2 miles going to be like and what is this wall people keep talking about. I got my shuffle ready, I relaxed, I ate pasta, I'm ready!

Now it's marathon day:
I woke up at 5:45 and started to get ready. I ate a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast. I put on my outfit and packed some stuff into Andy's backpack. Daniel, Ernie and Vickie came and picked us up, and we were on our way.

We made it down to the starting line, and I made some last minute preparations, took pictures with great people and made my way into the starting corral. I decided to start near the 4:25 pacers so that I wouldn't start off at too quick of a pace. That was going to be easy to do. A awesome running friend of mine, Sheri, was running the half and was going to running at about the pace I was wanting and she also does the run 4 minutes walk a minute thing. I told her I was going to stick with her a while.
Now the race is starting, I'm inching towards the start line. Oh boy! Here we go! Only 26.2 miles left! Sheri and I decide to skip our first walk because it is pretty crowded and we wanted to let it clear out a little. We were running a little bit behind the 4:25 pacers and we really lost them we started out walks. It was great to have Sheri and I think we offered encouragement to each other. Up in the distance, I saw Martha, so I gave her a butt slap as I passed her. I got to run with her for a very short time and that was lovely. We had done a lot of training together for this thing.

At some point, and I think it was around mile 5, I started pulling away from Sheri. I told her she was a witness though, she knew I wasn't running too quickly. I was being smart about it.

I made it to the 10k split feeling pretty good. My pace was 9:59 so I was on target on staying good and easy.

Now, only 20 miles to go! Come on, I've got this! At some point between the 10k and the 13.1 mile mark, I passed up the 4:25 group. For a while, it was back and forth, they would pass me when I walked, I would pass them when I ran. I still felt good and I wasn't pushing too hard. My legs weren't tired and my breathing was good. I saw Katie, who is also from Fort Smith. She was running the half and I got to chat with her some. I made it to the halfway mark still feeling great. My pace had quickened a tiny bit and I was at a 9:52 pace at the halfway mark.

Now I was going to get into the grit of it. I had been told that miles 14-17 were brutal and hilly. I was ready and feeling good. Then, my shuffle stopped working. Good thing I didn't have it for the half I did a couple weeks ago or I don't know what I would have done. I now basically had to run the hardest half of a marathon with no music. If I had music at the Run the Line Half, I wouldn't have been able to handle it has well. I took it in stride and stayed on my merry way.

The hills in this area weren't as bad as I thought they would be and I kept pushing on. I got through them though, and thought thank goodness! The hills are over! Then we started an out and back and we were running into a headwind! I got to see some faster runners, Jamie and Lionel, making there way back as I was running out. It was great to cheer for them for a second.

Now, I'm at the 20 mile mark, only a tiny 10k left to go! My pace after 20 miles was at 10:01, so I was still staying good and steady and not feeling all that bad.

Between mile 21 and 22, they had something set up for us to run through for fun called "the wall." I ran through it thinking maybe I made it through it, I'm home free!

I wasn't. Around mile 22.5, I lost it. I don't know if it was more mental or more physical. I started running 2 minutes walking a minute or running 3 minutes walking a minute or just trying to move. My pace suffered miserably. Then, a blister popped on bottom of my right foot. I kept going though. I was almost there. Then, a blister popped on my left foot. Well, oh well! I thought. I'm finishing this thing. At some point, the 4:25 pace group caught up with me and then passed me right up. I didn't have a hope of trying to catch them.

Then, around mile 24, more hills popped up and these were more brutal! I could here profanities being yelled out from several different people around me.

I pushed through and around mile 25.5 I saw the best cheerleader ever Kristen, sitting there and she got a whole section cheering for me. That gave me some pep in my step.

At mile 26, I felt GLORIOUS! Only .2 miles left and I was about to be able to celebrate with wonderful people.

Here's me nearing the finish line, and that's Daniel and Vickie cheering me on. They finished their first half marathon that day!!



 I was able to kick it in, and they called my name as I was crossing the finish line. I was so happy! I ended up finishing in 4:32, which is a 10:25 pace. Not too shabby for my first marathon.

Plus, I got a huge medal, and that is the main reason why I ran this thing!





What is next you ask? Well now it's time for a short rest break, then I'll be back into it!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Yeah Rose! So excited for you! This is awesome, very proud of u! That sucks about the blisters! My sis gets them too, luckily they haven't found me haha! Good luck in your continue'd training : ) I still haven't blogged my Marathon from a couple weeks ago haha, I will soon! Love the medal! Keep it up with your training, what they say has been true for me with getting the Marathon blues post race, I just fight through by continuing to run : )

... said...

That mile 22 area is the worst. I have no idea what it is about that, but that happened to me in training. I popped some energy gels and drank water while running... curbed it a little bit, basically delayed it until mile 25-26, when my hamstrings just locked up. I stopped, stretched, and strode it out. Ft. Ben was pretty hilly too.

Above all, Congrats!

Unknown said...

Awesome! A HUGE congrats to you!

One of these days....that will be me. For now, I will stick to training for my upcoming half, but I yearn to do a whole one.

Thom said...

Like a boss.

Andrea said...

Freaking awesome, Rose!
Congrats!