Friday, November 04, 2005

don't you wish you looked like this???


Now that's hot. So I guess in Kansas they are about to do a vote on the practice of teaching evolution in public schools. This seems to be a crazy ongoing issue...doesn't it? It's sort of weird that we spend so much time concentration on how we are going to teach on evolution...when only MAYBE a class period or two will get spent talking about in high school. When I was in high school, I wished that we would have spent more time on it. So...back to Kansas...

Here is a little part of the article....

Now, the new Kansas standards, which outline what teachers should teach and test on, leave evolutionary principles in the curriculum but insert phrasing that encourages students to question their validity. The standards also delete certain text about how science is defined.

I am not a teacher or anything...so I am not sure why this bothers me so much. Actually, I do know. I was super upset when we touched on evolution in college and people wouldn't even listen to it. There has to be some way that people can LEARN about it. Learning about it doesn't mean that's what you believe. I learn about a lot of stuff I don't believe. What makes me most mad is this phrase: The standards also delete certain text about how science is defined. That's terrible! You can't do that! Sooo...in an effort to change the way evolution is taught...we are going to neglect to fully teach the definition of science. Wow...

It pretty much seems like a lot of time wasted on something that doesn't even get that much notice in the classroom. There are other things we probably should be focusing more on. Maybe we should focus on actually offering quality education to students. We need to worry about getting students prepared for college and life. I don't think colleges are going to sugar coat evolution. My college didn't...and they were baptist affiliated.

I know this a little bit of a rant...I don't really have a lot of time to actually make myself sound coherent...what are your thoughts?

Here is the article:

article

In other news...

Pacers have won the first two home games.

Did you hear about that guy that is suing Home Depot because he was glued to the toilet seat?

I fell up the stairs this morning...and scraped my hand.

it hurt.

I put pink streaks in my hair. It's kind of cool.

K...I'm done.

Have a great weekend!!! What are your plans???? I will be out of town...woohooo.....

5 comments:

um... yeah... said...

where are you going?

are you going to post a picture of said pink streaks in your hair?

this is what confuses me. and since you were part of the dave ramsey book reading maybe you'll get it, too. how is it there's so much debate over how we got here, yet no one teaches kids how to save money, balance a checkbook, people skills, how to interview, etc during high school. can we teach some real life things here? :P mleh

Anonymous said...

Just take science completely out of the school and concentrate on Math, Reading, and Grammer.

How much classes do you need to understand "God said let there be"

... said...

Anonymous: Math is science, crazy. And for all intents and purposes, God shattered the Tower of Babel and confused languages so we couldn't understand one another's speech... so teaching reading and grammar is an unGodly scheme too, no?

Science is fine in schools, aristotle is quoted as saying "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it."

If these people were educated in the Christian Religion, or have been educated in an idea that doesn't incorporate evolution, perhaps they would be able to entertain an idea without accepting it.

So basically if you refuse to teach something because you don't believe it, you are addressing your pupils as uneducated and incapable of making educated decisions. Not only this, but you are continuing the pursuit of ignorance by avoiding teaching the issue. Since when has the pursuit of ignorance been the goal of education?

Ty- I totally agree with you about the basic skills required for life being taught in school. And the masses want pictures of the hair, Rose. What the heck possessed you to do this?

Anonymous said...

Rose! I miss you so much! I haven't gotten to talk to you online recently. Just wondering what's up. I agree. I think evolution should still be taught in schools. I know when it was taught my freshman year, my teacher said that it was just a theory and that we didn't have to believe it he just taught it. But I was a little smart azz and wore a shirt that said "Darwin Lied: Genisis 1:1" the day I knew he was going to teach it to us. But I still think it should be taught. Dude...did you really put pink stripes in your hair? I'm with ty- "the masses want pictures rose." I wanna see. And I think it's a little ironic because I was just talking to my friends last Friday about if I were to ever dye my hair I would totally dye it pink or with pink stripes. So...hit me with your best shot and show me what you got. (or if you don't like the fancy jazz comments..just let me see a picture, please rose) anyway...you have a great week! hugs*** and I miss you.
*Lindsey/Burz

Anonymous said...

NO! No! I agree, honestly, You should learn all you can. I was just being sarcastic. But, in turn we don't teach anarchism, satanism, or anything muslim in school either. I just think we have way too much crap in our society that we have lost sight of what is important. No wonder our kids are so screwed up. And we justify it by saying they must learn it to be equal and fair to other cultures and religions.

I am sorry, I was born into a country that was founded on moral and ethical views. God Bless America. Our kids are not even allowed to say the pledge of Allegiance anymore. What kind of bullcrap is that? Patriotism and Self want for your own man kind is straight out the window... Don't argue.... I can take you right down town where my family lives and you almost get nervous to get out of your car. You get mugged right outside of your front door, and then they got the nerve to call you and want to meet you to rob you again.

I will leave it at that... But yes school should teach all they can, but there should be a limit to it somewhere... You have to admit that.