Saturday, April 02, 2005

the pope

I was reading through some Cumberland College people's Xanga sites. One girl had a particular entry about the pope. If you haven't heard by now, which I am sure you have since it is all over the new. Pope John Paul II has died at the age of 84. The girl's entry simply said:

I wonder where the pope will spend eternity.

Now this girl is not somebody who wonders even if there is a heaven. She believes there is a heaven. I don't personally know her, but I think she is really involved in the ministries at Cumberland and very nice. The statement made me remember a chapter in A New Kind of Christian entitled something like "It's not our business who goes to heaven." I would hope, however, that the largest part of the Christian church would have an actual CHRISTIAN as his leader. I think his life shows that he is a follower of Christ. Why oh why would people even wonder about this? If the pope himself is not going to heaven, then I am absolutely screwed. I remember somebody at a baptist church I once went to when I was growing up talking about Mother Theresa. They said "you know, she did all that good stuff, but she still may not be going to heaven." I agree that good works can not get you to heaven, but holy crap! It is great she did all that good stuff. I am also pretty sure that Mother Theresa is in heaven. She had great faith. Everything she did, she did for God. Then again, it's not my business who goes to heaven. Our job as Christians is not to make sure we get people into heaven (although that is a nice benefit.) Our job as Christians is to show people Christ. Ok, enough of that, I really don't know if this post is making sense at all. I just really hope in the next bit of time I don't hear people debating whether or not the pope is in heaven. My sympathy does go out to all people in the world who are mourning at this time. I am glad that John Paul II is done suffering. I pray that the Catholic church will put in place an amazing leader that strives for Christian unity.

Another Cumberland guy's Xanga had an interesting entry on this.

On a side note...

I turned on fox because a friend I had from Cumberland is singing the national anthem, and it's raining so they postponed it :(. I hope the race starts before I leave so I can hear her. Go Chrystal!!!!

I end with this that I ripped from Matt's site (I know he is already dead, but I like this).


The Lord be with you.

And also with you.

Lift up your hearts.

We lift them unto the Lord.

Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.

It is right to give our thanks and praise!

We commend to you, O Lord! the soul of this your servant John Paul II, and beseech you, O Jesus Christ, Redeemer of the world, that, as in your love for him, you became man, so now you would grant to admit him into the number of the blessed.
May all the Saints and Elect of God, who, on earth, suffered for the sake of Christ, intercede for him; so that, when freed from the prison of his body, he may be admitted into the kingdom of heaven: through the merits of our Lord Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with the Father and the Holy Spirit, world without end. † Amen.
May the blessing of God Almighty the Father, Son and Holy Spirit descend on you and remain with you always. †

Amen.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in DC last week, and too busy to post but that is the way it goes sometimes.

I have seen both heaven and hell here on earth, but I do not "know" if there is any sort of afterlife.

Frankly I don't worry about it, I live a good life I will take whatever I get and be happy knowing I have done the very best I could with this life.

I wonder if christians would act differently if they weren't forgiven every week? Look at the karma theory, those people have something to worry about!

-thom

Anonymous said...

It's interesting to me that just about everything Jesus did opened up the kingdom to more and more people than anyone thought was possible, now days we can't help but spend our time deciding who it out.

Its good to see your compassion about this issue. Heaven and Hell don't seem to be pressing issues when someone is suffering. Alleviation of suffering is something we can be sure and glad for.

I'm with Tom. I think that Heaven and Hell are not meta-physical places but states of being. Not to say there won't be an after life because honestly, I have no idea and I don't think we should be expected to be concerned about something we have no idea about.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that closing you put in is part of a liturgy that comes from the Book of Common Prayer. Fabulous book.

Anonymous said...

Why would you say you are screwed if the pope didn't go to heaven? It would be pretty bad if our salvation were based on whether or not someone else went to heaven.

JB

Anonymous said...

What do the little crosses signify? Is that where a participant should make the sign of the cross?

JB

rose said...

Adam, thanks for the info. I knew it had to be from somewhere. I just recognized the things from the beginning as stuff they say at mass.

JB...It was just a statement. The pope was the leader of the Catholic church. He did tons of stuff for the world and for Christianity. I think I was going to heaven and he wasn't, then maybe I have serious issues...I don't know. Again, I don't think salvation is works based.

Anonymous said...

I have told a few of you about the church I go to, interestingly it just got written up in The Lutheran.

There is alot to learn about the emerging church, what is good and what is bad in this article if you read between the lines.

http://www.thelutheran.org/0504/page14.html

-thom

Anonymous said...

That sounds like an awesome place

Anonymous said...

Thom... Linky broken... will not load

Rose... I think this is what you are talking about.. You cannot have just Faith nor just Works.. You must have both..

James 2

17Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

18Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

19Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

20But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

21Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

22Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

23And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

24Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

25Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

26For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.


This almost kinda reminds me of the Jehova Witnesses argument... only 144 thousand may see the kingdom of heaven.. and I would ask him, are you saving us a spot in hell then? Puzzling them... I would ask him if that is so, how many more people are there in the world that have deserved more than us? In James 2 it is written if you break one part of the law you have broken the whole law! I use to ask them if they want to read my Bible because it reads to seek the light, knock and the door will be open.. (out of context just trying to keep my post short). But you get the drift..

Wolfe

Anonymous said...

167 moves

Anonymous said...

There is sort of a problem with the "Saints and Elect" interceding for people to get them into heaven. If that were true, I would be donating all my money to the televangelists!! hahahahaha.

JB