Friday, April 08, 2005

that took a while

I tried to post this yesterday, but I typed it all, and then submitted it and then lost it. At least I had written it in Word so I didn't have to write it twice. I then could not even get into http://blogger.com or the post comments part of my blog. It was a bit frustrating. I asked Tyana if she could get to it, and she could, so I pinged it, and it replied. I then tried to get to blogger by just using the ip address. That didn't work either. I had no clue what was going on and then Matt said he could get to it too. I could get to status.blogger.com, and they had something on there saying if you are having trouble getting to blogger.com, delete your cookies and try again, so here I am!! Lucky you! I wonder what kind of cookie could cause you not to be able to load a page? Any thoughts computer guys??

Now here was my real post:

I got a couple new books I am going to begin to read by Brian Mclaren. One is The Story We Find Ourselves in and the other is A Generous Orthodoxy. I haven't started reading them yet, but I found the words inside the front of cover of A Generous Orthodoxy to be rather interesting. It was taken from the introduction. I am going to post them below for your reading enjoyment. I would like to hear your thoughts on it. It kind of reminded me a lot of a conversation C. Brian and I had the other night.

To be a Christian in the generous, orthodox way is not to claim to have the truth captured, stuffed, and mounted on. It is, rather, to live and grow in a loving community of people who are seeking the truth on the road of mission, and who have been launched on the quest by Jesus, who, with us, guides us still. Do we have it--have we taken hold of it? Not fully, not yet, of course not. But we keep seeking. We're finding enough to keep us going. But we're not finished. That, to me, is orthodoxy--a way of seeing and seeking, a way of living, a way of thinking and loving and learning that helps what we believe become more true over time, more resonant with the infinite glory that is God.


I love this man. He really knows how to say things. I think I was telling Brian the other night that I don't think that anybody has it completely right. He couldn't disagree with me more. Maybe this book will be interesting. Sorry Adam, I think I am going to read it, much against your recommendation :).

*One more thing:
Buca di Beppo is taking the Pope John Paul II's head off of the pope table. That makes me sad. I always wanted to sit at that table, and one day I planned on actually doing it. Oh well. They are afraid that it could offend some people, so they are going to replace with another recognizable pope from history. My question is who will that be? I guess just put any head in there with the funny hat. People will know that it is a pope.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The reason I don't like the book is that it is trying to encourage people to have dialogue that don't want to have dialogue instead of having the damn convesation. What's worse is that he does it by simply re-defining words with new connotations that feel good to both groups. Connotative meanings don't work like this. You Can't just change a landscape by saying "Lets look at all the yummy things about this word". That along with the completely unnecessary and completely exessive self-deprication makes for a rather frustrating and un-helpful read. I respect what McLaren is trying to do, but he blew it with this book.

Anonymous said...

All that being said, I honestly hope you enjoy it more than me, and I have heard lots of good things about the other book "The Story We Find Ourselves In".

Anonymous said...

I have an 80's story. Once upon a time, three ornate standpipes were built in St. Louis. Oh, whoops, that was the 1880's. lmbo. (and one of them was actually built in 1871, so I guess that doesn't count anyway. hahahahahahahaha.

JB

Anonymous said...

Hey I did The Oregon Trail. I got 1762 points. I took my whole department (I included Brian) Here are the highlights:

1. JB - made it with no trouble.

2. Angela - Made it, but had Cholera, Measles and Dysentery on the way.

3. Goldie - Made it, but a Snake bit her once.

4. Brian - Died of Typhoid 4 miles from Ft. Laramie

5. Rose was the real problem child. She made it, but here is what happened to her in order:
a. She broke her arm.
b. She got Cholera.
c. She got Measles.
d. She got bitten by a snake.
e. She got Cholera AGAIN.
f. She suffered from
exhaustion - WHINER - we
were ALL tired.

Anyway, I lost 3 Oxen in a 3 ft. deep river??? I think I may have tied pigs to the wagon rather than oxen!!!!

I got built up to 12 oxen, but a thief came and stole 9 - JERK.

It was pretty fun, though.

Bye.

JB

Anonymous said...

Rose:

It could have been a lot of things in your cookies. All they do is keep track of prior settings. All it takes is one of those settings being changed and a poorly written website will hang on the old cookie.

You password may have been changed, for example. If it changed on the website, but the cookie was not updated, it would actually either give you an error or just not load.

It was probably not your password though. It was probably something stupid and nonessential like background color or something.

JB