Friday, April 29, 2005

Can I get a ride?

The other night I went to see great scott. If it seems like I go and see them a lot, it's because I do. I seem to think that the bass player is pretty cool. Before I get to the real part of the story, let me tell you about the band that played after them. It was some band from L.A. or something, I don't remember their name. They were good though, and they had a GIRL as the bass player. She is my new hero. I think that made her super hot. I couldn't stop watching her. I was amazed. Ha...

OK..now to the real part of this post...

As C. Brian was loading all of his stuff in his car, he got approached by a guy asking him to give him a ride home. The place he was wanting C. Brian to take him to was a few miles north and brian was going to need to go south. Now, C. Brian being the nice person he is actually considered doing this for the guy. Brian comes in and says he has a dilemma, this guy needs a ride, and he said something else....I forget what though. Soo..the guy who wants a ride looks at me and says "I'm a minister." I am thinking to myself "Great...really that doesn't mean way too much to me..." So then he says "here is my lisence" and he pulls out this certificate. It is a certicicate of ordination from the universal life church. For those of you who don't know, you can get ordained online by this church by going here. At this time, I am a bit worried about this guy. He wants something, and he tries to pull out the church card. It seems that a lot of people do that. They will be out there selling Jesus fish necklaces for "such and such church," or postcards...they will make you feel guilty for not buying one...It drives me nuts. Why don't they just sell the stuff and say "I NEED THE MONEY!" Stop this lying... Ok...back to the story...I pulled Brian aside and said "If you are going to take him home, you really need to have somebody with you, and I don't think I am the best one to take..." He says that he is just going to go tell the guy I am not comfortable with Brian taking him home. I then proceed to see if we can come up with cash to get a cab driver. Between about 6 of us, we had 5 bucks. The lead singer of great scott took the 5 dollars out to the guy to try and get him a cab. Brett asked the guy if he had any money and he said that he had a dollar in change. Brian had just seen another guy give him some cash. Well, long story short, the cab wouldn't take him for 5 dollars, and the guy was really mad. I guess he started saying things like "one day you will be in this position...and you will want people to help you.." I am all for helping people...but I am not a big fan of the people that mooch...

That reminds me of a time a couple months ago that I was at a gas station and this guy was trying to get money for some food. I didn't have any cash, but I told him I would buy him some food from the gas station. He asked me if I could go accross the street to some restraunt and get some hot wings for him. Is that really a time to be picky? I wanted to say "are you serious? you need food...I am offering it to you...and that isn't good enough for you? Forget it.." I didn't though..I got him chips, pizza, and a 2-liter. I wonder if he ever ate it or traded it for something..who knows... People like that bug me because there truly are people that are in need of things. Just go down to the White Castle downtown. You will see them. If you are ever in the mood to help somebody, or have some clothes to give away, those people will welcome you with open arms and will be truly grateful...

Ok..that is enough of my rant...

4 comments:

Payment Family said...

Nice rant and I think you did the right thing not giving him the ride. Have a great weekend.
Mike

Anonymous said...

I missed the part in scripture where gratefulness was a pre-requisite for recieving charity, or giving charity.

I'm hesitant to pick up people and give them rides as well. But I find this incredibly sad and I don't think it is the right thing to do. We live so much of our lives out of fear and when the fear prevents us from being charitable, it has overstepped its bounds.

rose said...

I see where you are coming from Adam, but I guess we just become dull to the people around us. I mean, we see people all the time selling Jesus fish "for the homeless" or little postcards...junk like that... I want to help as much as I can. If I would have had enough money, I would have put that guy in the cab. If I hadn't been there with Brian, Brian would have taken him home. Brian had to much equipment in his car to have somebody besides the guy ride with him, it was 2:30 in the morning, and it was way out of the way. I guess we aren't supposed to worry about convenience...but after all isn't that what america is about these days?

Anonymous said...

Adam,
Have you seen a hitch-hiker, and if so, have you given that person a ride? I'm sure the answer is no.