Sunday, February 26, 2012

1 week...

Only one week is left until I run my very first marathon. It will be my very first 26.2 miles. Am I ready? I sure hope so! I feel as though I am, but I've been having some hip problems. The hip probems have taken its tole, but I don't think they will be an issue come race day.

If so, I'll take it in stride. I'll finish, no matter how long it takes me! It's my first one, and there will be more to come for sure. It's all about finishing this time.

I'm nervous, of course! I didn't plan on taking over a week off right before the marathon, but I think it's for the best. If I can walk around pain free, then I might try to get a very short slow run in on Thursday AT THE LATEST!

Other than that though, I'm preparing the best I can. That means I'm drinking the right amount of water. I'm eating ther right amount of carbs. I'm not drinking any alcohol (except maybe a beer the night before...carbs people!). I'm exercising and stretching. I won't be eating ANY fried foods.

Little Rock Marathon, you will be mine!

You want to know what else I need to do?

I need to get my whole marathon playlist taken care of!

GASP! Are you one of those people that does not believe that people should run with music? Do you hate people doing it?

I know, I know! If I was an elite runner, I wouldn't be allowed to have music. Guess what? I'm not!

So, I'll take my music.  It helps me. I put songs on there that remind me of specific people, of specific times, of specific places, etc.  This way, when I run, I can think about those memories it brings to mind.

Of course, some of them are songs that are just rock out fun and always give me a boost in the race. 

Here's some of my favs and why they are:

It's Tricky- I've ended so many races with this song playing. It's upbeat and has a good beat.
Don't Stop Believing- I LOVE running to Journey playing.
Sweet Caroline- I can't help but dance a little when this one is playing, I love dancing with people to this song.
Maggie May- When this song is playing, I imagine that my good friend, Jimmy Brigance is running with me. He's fast so it helps me go a bit faster.
Total Eclipse of the Heart-reminds me of Astrocamp
Where is the Love?- Helps give me a good boost
Let's Go-Reminds me of all the Pacers games I went to
Damn it Feels Good to be a Gangsta-because doesn't it?
Eye of the Tiger-well duh!!!
Hit Me Baby One More Time-Don't hate
Stuck In a Moment- The words to this song ring true when I'm running and it's tough. "You've got to get yourself together..."

There are so many more too...however, I need to add some stuff to my list to make it through a marathon. What are your suggestions? I think that once I have my list all the way done, I'm going to post it up here in all of its glory. I'm open to new amazing song ideas...so give them!

3 comments:

Thom said...

"304 weeks..." ago we were talking about running and "It's Tricky" was on my playlist: http://reospeed.blogspot.com/2006/04/its-friday.html

I hope you take it easy on your hip and those Friday night fermented carbs, and have a great run on Saturday!

rose said...

Thom! That's great! haha...I'm going to re-go over your list! By the way, I'm getting quite a few comments on my blog, just everybody is commenting on them on facebook! If only could get them to comment on here! I am a comment whore after all.

Thom said...

So how are you feeling after last weekend???