Monday, January 24, 2005

American Idol

It is absolutely amazing the effect that reality television has on our society. Apparently, some 35 million people tuned in for the premiere of American Idol. Admittedly, I was one of those many. What can I say? That show is a masterpiece. These people wait in line for days to audition to become the next big superstar. They get screened by a few different sets of judges before even seeing Simon, Randy, and Paula. Thank God that they let the absolutely terrible people through, or else nobody would watch. I love it! I loved William Hung last year (for those of you who remember my old voice mail message); for those of you who don't, ask me to sing it someday :). This year, I love "when Adam met Dirk." I loved crazy girl with voices in her head. I loved Tony Braxton's cousin; I loved the girl who tried to sing "Somewhere over the Rainbow." It is amazing. Oh reality T.V., what have you done to us?? It is not only American Idol; I am a hard core Survivor fan! I haven't missed an episode of that since halfway through season 2. Now how sad is that?! Reality T.V. is just addicting. It is a guilty pleasure that some of us at some point or another take part in. We pretend to hate it, but inside we love it, and we hate it that we love it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey rosy Rose!!
I just read your regretful sin of partaking in the viewing of the "American Idol." :) I myself was that someone who watched the Premier of the American Idol when it hit big. But after 3 shows of it, I just yawned and said "no more." I wish reality T.V. was actually "reality", but when a person knows a camera is filming him or her, their personality as well as their actions change. I think as long as the viewers know that in fact it isn't reality, then the whole show can be seen as comedy...and people can get their kicks and giggles.
I would say more power to you since you are wise and have more intelligence to know the difference between reality and pseudo-reality. At least your confessing the truth of your liking of the show! Keep on enjoying!!
Peace--Brian Anthony