Monday, January 31, 2005

coming back to the heart of worship

When the music fades
And all is stripped away
And I simply come
Longing just to bring
Something that’s of worth
That will bless your heart

I’ll bring you more than a song
For a song in itself
Is not what you have required
You search much deeper within
Through the way things appear
You’re looking into my heart

I’m coming back to the heart of worship
And it’s all about you
All about you Jesus
I’m sorry Lord for the thing I’ve made it
And it’s all about you
All about you Jesus


~Matt Redman

Sometimes I think that we forget what worship really is. We kind of confine it to a short little happy time of songs on Sunday, and we have had a good “worship experience” when we get this emotional high. I am pretty sure that is not what it is. I do think that music can be a big part of worship, but we are supposed to always be worshipping, no matter what we do. We get too caught up in I don’t like the music because it’s too traditional, or I don’t like it because I didn’t hear the organ enough, or I just plain don’t like music. How about we take all the music away? Can you still worship God? Some people may not think so, but it is important that we don’t mix our emotional feelings with what worship is. Sure, the emotional is good, but is not really what worship is. Where does all this come from you ask? Well, I went to mass on Sunday. This was the first mass I ever went to. Actually, it was the first time I have been to a liturgical church. It was awesome. On a side note, I could now see where A New Kind of Christian was coming from when it said that there probably would be a longing to go back to liturgy, saints, holy days, and tradition in the post modern church. Now back to music. The music was definitely not what I would call “my ideal worship music,” but that was ok. It actually hit me kind of hard to actually get a good grasp on the fact that music isn’t everything. Sometimes I forget that. I kind of want to take a step back and see what happens “when the music fades, and all is stripped away..” It is really nice to take a step back to see what other people do when the come together for a time of corporate worship. I know I will always love the music aspect of worship, and more contemporary music is what I like, but I can get that anywhere. We just need to start utilizing other forms of worship more. Please add to this if you can. I know that there is a lot more to be said.

worship (worth+ship)

2 comments:

Anne said...

I love that song.

um... yeah... said...

word, girl! you got it!