Thursday, January 13, 2005

Greetings from Maryland!

I promised I would right more later, so here I am! I told you I would tell you a little more about the book A New Kind of Christian. Like I said, it is an awesome book. It takes a look at Christianity through a different perspective. It looks at it through a postmodern view. Some of you may be thinking..postmodern..what do you mean by postmodern? Right now, I believe that we are living in a period of transition; we living in a transition from the modern world to the postmodern world, maybe we could compare it to a sort of Enlightment. I think it is really cool to be living in a time like this. It is not that modernism is bad, it is just that a new way of thinking is emerging..new philosophies are showing up. We are distancing ourselves from the rigid analytical view of modernism. The book is a novel..and Neo is a guy who is trying to lead a guy on the path to postmodernism..to this "new" era. Pretty cool since Neo means "new." Neo gives some words to describe modernism. So here it goes:

*it was an era of conquest and control
*it was the age of the machine
*it was an age of analysis
*it was the age of secular science
*it was an age of aspiring to absolute objectivity
*it was a critical age
*it was the age of the modern nation-state and organization
*it was the age of individualism
*it was the age of protestantism and institutional religion
*itwas the age of consumerism

(I know this isnt cited right..but its all from the book.)

Neo then goes on to say that postmodernism is simply an age of post-all the ages above. He doesnt go deep into the actual postmodern philosophy because he says it is still in development. We are in the baby stages of it. So if you are confused on this..I am sorry.

I would like to focus on postprotestantism...This is a word I am not sure I get..but I think what the book is trying to say is that in these new emerging times..we wont be so bent on trying to keep ourselves seperate from other Christians (I talked about this in a previous post). We will live more like a community and keep each other in check, whether you be Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, or so on. We won't be so preoccupied with critizing other religions, such as Islam, Hinduism, and so on. What the book talks about is the possibility of someone believing in Christ, but still keep their culture in check. We won't be converting people our western idea of Christianity, but rather just showing people Christ. They will be Christians, just not our western idea of it. I really don't know if I am conveying the whole point, so if you can help me with this, that would be awesome. Also, I think that some of you may have a little more insight on postmodernism from more that a religous view..so pipe up!

Love you all!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

JB again. Sorry Rose. I have heard it before. The last time was in the early 1900's. Christian philosophical thought is like a big pendulum. From liberal to conservative and back. Or Classical thought to Post-Modern thought. Post-Modernism actually has other names, interestingly enough.

Ecclesiastes 1:9-11 should shed better light on it than anything I could say. (I know how you like OT preaching)lol.

The only thing one can do is cling to scripture. That is the only truth in this world we can absolutely rely on as the pendulum swings...

back.....

and

forth....