Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Jerry Falwell

So while I was at work yesterday, I saw a fax daily laying around. In one section, it was talking about some quote from Jerry Falwell. Now, I don't really think that fax daily is really that reliable, but the quote is funny. This is what it says:

"The Rev. Jerry Falwell outed Tinky Winky of the Teletubbies, because, Falwell pronounced, "The character is crealy a fount of gayness. He is purple, the gay color, he has an antenna shaped like a triangle, the gay symbol, and he carries a purse, something all gay people do."

I decided to do a little research on it, because for some reason I don't put that statement past Falwell. (If you do not know who Jerry Falwell is, he is the president of Liberty University in Virginal, and he is quite the fundamentalist.) He blamed Sept. 11 on the sinfulness of our country; he said it was our fault or something like that. I went to his website and found an article about the teletubbies and it does not mention this quote at all. In fact, it is not even written by him. It is just in the magazine published by him. You can find the article
here . The article is prefaced with a response to an article written by a member of the associated press. The article is not there so naturally i wanted to go find the article that was actually written. I did find it, and it does give the idea that Falwell's magazine did say these things.

"The February edition of the National Liberty Journal, edited andpublished by Falwell, contains an article warning parents that therotund Teletubby with the triangular antenna may be a gay role model. To support its claim, the publication says Tinky Winky has the voice ofa boy but carries a purse. "He is purple -- the gay-pride color; and his antenna is shaped like a triangle -- the gay-pride symbol." Falwell contends the "subtle depictions" are intentional and issued astatement Tuesday that said, "As a Christian I feel that role modelingthe gay lifestyle is damaging to the moral lives of children."

With all that said..did Falwell say it? Maybe not..is he thinking it? Probably. His track record of saying nice things does not seem to be that good. Maybe I am mistaken, show me proof if I am.

I still think the quote itself from the fax daily is funny. They proceeded to talk about other characters that could be the next to be "outed"

Such as:
Fred Flinstone-His nickname on the bedrock bowling team is twinkle-toes flinstones. The shows them song ends with we'll have a gay old time..He wears an orange west with little triangles all over it.

Bugs Bunny-Often stands with hand on hip. Plays a hairdresser in one episode. Frequently dresses in drag. Loves to throw on a top hat and tails and belts out boradway showtunes with his buddy Daffy, who, it is worth noting has a lisp.

Velma (from Scooby Doo)-Always tries to sit next to Daphne in the Mystery Machine. Sports that butch haircut. Has broad shoulders and wears thick turtleneck sweaters and knee socks. Never once shagged shaggy.

Pink panther-enough said.

Ha. Well my favorite color is purple..and I love triangles....
^
^ ^
^ ^
^ ^
^^^^^^^^^

4 comments:

rose said...

Honestly..the weird looking shape at the bottom of this was supposed to look like a triangle...Oh well.

... said...

Dude, Fred has a kid, first of all. Then again, Wilma's pretty hot, and gay dudes always get the hot chicks. But I think most of the gay references in the past are supposed to be funny, because gay people are funny. Drag is funny, lisps are funny, a guy with female mannersims is funny... only for a short while, then it gets weird... like Uncle Rico around high school girls. But I have to agree w/ whoever said the teletubbies are gay or have gay undertones, because they're right. Perhaps you should examine the creators of the show and not the critics.

um... yeah... said...

are you freakin kidding me? what the??

okay, maybe instead of putting all the gay people on an island as falwell has suggested before, maybe we should put all the homophobes on an island. what, is he afraid tinky-winky will hit on him? b/c i'll just tell him - you ain't that hot and i'm sure you're not his type.

as for going the route of trying to discredit the flintstones and bugs - oh COME ON. he must think everyone's gay.

hmm. maybe he's afraid HE is.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Tyana. Bugs Bunny is like my favorite Looney Tunes character. Just b/c I like him doesn't mean I'm gay. He's just a funny dude. And I think come on! on the rest of the characters too. I don't know about the tellytubbies...but little kids don't understand what being gay is...unless their parents explain it to them. It's not like while they are watching it they think that the characters are gay. And I don't know...but Eli Bultman plays dress-up with the girls and he plays house at daycare. So, it's not like it's a bad thing. He's just being a kid and playing. It doesn't mean he's gay. I think that's all retarded. Good post though Rose. I like it. See ya!!
Lindsey Burzlaff