Thursday, September 08, 2005

Tracts...mmm

A few months back, I was at Walmart with Tyana. It's the cool place to hang, you know? I came across a random tract that somebody left behind. If you are not sure what a tract is or if you have never been blessed enough to be given one...below is a picture of one (actually the very same one), and if you click on it, you can actually read it.


I tried to save Tyana's soul by reading the tract, but she is pretty much a heathen and wanted no part of it. Then, we went to Starbuck's (where Josh was working) and when I went to pay, I tried to give him the tract. I then decided to read it to him. He didn't understand of "asking Jesus into your heart." I guess tip number 5 would have been good to use. After that, I tried to give it to C. Brian because he's Catholic and his soul definitely needs a little KJV saving (said in jest). Then, just a little while ago, I was in The Ripple, and a guy was preaching on the corner and gave me a tract. I remember when I was little; I always wanted to have tracts with me so that if I ever had the opportunity, I could pass them out. I don't think I ever did. All this to say that my dad went to church on Sunday night and he came home with a bulletin. One of the inserts in the bulletin was on how to use tracts. I thought it was hilarious. (Just so you know, I am not making fun of people that use tracts...they just aren't my thing at all...reminds me of my Baptist roots)

So here we go: (be sure to read the explanations...they will be sure to make you chuckle)

How to Use Tracts

1. Pray.
You cannot win anyone to Christ; neither can a tract. Only the Holy Spirit can do that.

2. Give appropriate tracts.
Always carry several different types of tracts with you so that you can match the message to the person.

3. Talk...and listen.
This will help you learn the person's needs and stimulate interest

4. Make eye contact and smile.
Genuine smiles are rare these days, but they can create an opening for giving a tract.

5. Don't force tracts on people.
Distribute a dozen tracts carefully, prayerfully, and judiciously rather than handing out a hundred indiscriminately.

6. Use top-quality tracts.
Invest in the best tracts available. You and your Lord will be judged by the equipment you use.

7. Keep your tracts in good condition.
Make sure your tracts are clean and fresh when you hand them out.

8. Use positive tracts.
Our job is not to put others down, but to lift Jesus up by presenting the positive truth of the gospel.

9. Find new ways to use tracts.
Be original. Never leave home without a tract.

10. Give out a tract each day.
You will be amazed as you see the Lord bless your effects.

4 comments:

rose said...

you are making good job??? What the? ARG

Anonymous said...

I've never been a fan of tracts myself. I've been converted to more of the relational evangelism thing. I'm not good at it by any means, but I feel that it's a more effective method....that's just me, though....

... said...

Wow... choose the right tract for the right person? That's like putting the right fortune cookie with the right meal.
The art of Tract Kun Do

I've received about 90 billion tracts in my life and between all the different messages in them I've read pretty much the whole bible in tracts. They're good to pass the time when you're a waiter on a slow day.

um... yeah... said...

rose, go in and delete those bastards' spam comments! haha!

what a great memory. tracts. it's like evangelism for retards. "we know you can't think for yourself and be yourself, so here, give people these. that way we know you won't screw it up."

hey i found a sermon tape today whilst packing that was entitled "the fields are ripe among unfulfilled catholics - sharing the love of christ with them". i cracked up. i'll have to give it to you just so you have a good laugh at how to evangelize to catholics. lol!